Reagan Gonzalez
10/7/18
St. Matthew’s Episcopal
Lincoln, NE
Proper 22
10/7/18
St. Matthew’s Episcopal
Lincoln, NE
Proper 22
I cannot escape hearing it.
Anger and
dissatisfaction ooze out of every news channel. My friends and relatives get
into arguments on Facebook. Radio talk show hosts and podcast producers converse
on the vile nature and moral corruption of whichever side they are speaking
against. Exasperation and frustration from both sides has left our country more
polarized than ever and I cannot escape hearing it.
Jonathan
Haidt in his book, The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by
Politics and Religion, writes, “Morality binds and blinds. It binds us into
ideological teams that fight each other as though the fate of the world
depended on our side winning each battle. It blinds us to the fact that each
team is composed of good people who have something important to say.”
I myself
have to frequently convict myself of only watching and listening to opinions
that affirm what I already believe and what I already reject. As a person
of faith I know I am held to a standard of higher power. That although I am of
the world I am not to be consumed by it, or as our 1928 Prayer Book birthday
prayer says, to be left unspotted by the world.
Many of
the conflicts going on around us are led by individuals on opposing sides
genuinely acting on their own religious and faithful convictions, however. Sometimes it
is those acting out on their religious beliefs that the worst of humanity is
seen. It is no
wonder we desire to group ourselves into ‘us’ and ‘them’ and to the best of our
ability we try not to leave our group, for anger is exhausting. It wares us
down and leaves us wondering what is wrong with those who disagree.
If we
are to live, neigh survive, this world as we have made it however, then we have to look
beyond the anger, both in ourselves and in those around us. I
think if we look deeply enough we will find something else. We will find fear. Deep
down the real question behind whatever topic, whatever issue is at hand is,
what are we afraid of?
At the end
of today’s gospel we are given an image to help us through this question.
In the midst
of Jesus and his disciples having a serious discussion people are bringing
children to Jesus in order that he might touch them. The
disciples don’t see the value in this and they rebuke the people. “Let the
children come to me”, Jesus says, “for it is to such as these that the kingdom
of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God
as a little child will never enter it.” This image
of Jesus with children gathered around him is one of the most popular images in
all of scripture.
Within
churches paintings and prints of this image are usually strategically placed
near or in the nursery or other Sunday school class rooms. While this may call sweet images to mind I would
actually argue that it is us adults who need the reminder of this image more
than children.
There are at
least two things from this image that I hope to leave you with in order that
you might find hope for your days. The first is
that if we are to receive the kingdom of God as little children, then we must
acknowledge that we are not finished growing. We are still
learning what it means to be in relationship with God and each other. The work
does not stop at adulthood, but we should still be growing in faith, in
relationship, in awe and in wonder. If we lean
into Jesus’ words a burden is lifted. You don’t have to have everything figured
out and it’s ok not to have all the answers. Unlike the
disciples who view the children as less valuable of Jesus’ time compared to
them or others, Jesus reminds them that it is the children, the weak, the
forgotten, the social underdogs for whom Jesus is looking out for and seeks to
raise up. Br. David Vryoff,
of the Society of St. John the Evangelist, writes, “Children of God, never mind
your weakness; it is what qualifies you. Never mind your feelings of
inadequacy; it is God’s work, not yours. Simply make yourself available, and
let any need to impress others, or prove yourself worthy, or achieve success.
What matters is that God has chosen you, and that God claims you as his own.”
This leads
us to the second thing we can learn from this image and that is, that deep down
we all have an inner child that needs to be loved. No matter
how you were raised what adults all have in common is that in one way or
another we all had to figure out how to survive childhood. When I find
myself getting angry or frustrated with the world around me I know deep down
that there is fear.
Fear of the
answers to questions that many of us have been asking our whole lives. Will I be
heard?
Will I be
valued? Am I loved? Am I worthy? Am I safe?
These
questions lie at the base of almost all arguments we make and interactions we
have.
I don’t know
the future of many of the questions we face together as a community and as a
nation, but regardless of sides, beliefs, and opinions it is clear that our
current political dialogue is a toxic one. We have an
obligation to look inward into our own fears before we act out in ways which
divide us further. We have an
obligation to listen to the fear and pain of others, without mockery or
bullying.
When you
feel overwhelmed by what is going on in your life or in the life of our nation
or the world, hold onto this image of Jesus. He is still
inviting you to come and gather around him. To bring to him those fears and
questions you have, all your pain and sadness, and your joys as well. He is
inviting you to sit at his feet and be comforted and protected, to bring your
inner wounded self to him and to rest.
In our
climate it is tempting to be like one of the disciples in today’s story, to drive
others away because we think we know better or have it all figured out. As
gatekeepers who judge who is worthy of time and attention. But We don’t
actually get to choose who Jesus will or will not gather around him. Instead we
have to strive be like the children who come to Jesus seeking to be blessed and
to witness the blessing of others.
Dearly
beloved, bring your whole selves to Jesus, let him gather you and hold you
safe.
Amen.
Haidt,
Jonathan. The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and
Religion. New York: Vintage Books, 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment