The retreat ended with a noon-day Eucharist and commissioning service led by the Dean of the cathedral. At the commissioning the other interns and I learned which parish and non-profit we would be working for. It was a beautiful service. During the breaking of the bread the Dean said words I hadn't heard before, "These are the gifts of God for the people of God. Behold what you are, become what you see." The words struck me with a sense of wonder, they were simple, but held such deep truth. There we stood, before the alter with our peers and mentors, both asking and affirming that we would become gifts of God to the world. I'm quite excited to start this journey!
Here is some information on where I will be working:
My parish placement is at St Andrews Episcopal Church, with Fr. John Schaefer. Here is a link to their website, check it out: http://www.standrewsomaha.org/ They are an active parish, with a Saturday evening service, and three Sunday morning services. There are many, many ways for individuals to get involved in the parish, both within the church, and within the community. I will most likely be leading an adult bible study on Sunday mornings, and will post more details on my daily tasks as I learn them.
For my non-profit I will be a shared intern between to organizations, Building Bright Futures and Midlands Mentoring Partnership. Building Bright Futures is a non-profit which strives to improve the life long education of children by networking community resources. Here are a few pictures from their page:
Midlands Mentoring Partnership is actually a partner with Building Bright Futures. Some of their goals include promoting awareness of the necessity of youth mentoring, serving underserved communities, and connecting mentoring resources in the area.I will spend Tuesdays and Wednesdays working at St Andrews, plus any other fun activities I get to be a part of during the week. I will also be present on Sunday mornings for worship, especially on the Sundays I'm preaching ;) . Thursdays and Fridays are my non-profit days, and Mondays are reserved for spiritual formation. We begin in our parishes this weekend, and our non-profits next week.
Here are a few really neat things I've gotten to be a part of since moving to Omaha:
Table Grace. We had lunch with the Resurrection House Director and the Bishop at a restaurant called Table Grace. Table Grace is located in Downtown Omaha, and believes that everyone deserves a well prepared, delicious meal regardless of economic status. Everyday they offer gourmet salad, soup, and pizza to "anyone that walks in the door." There is a donation box, and patrons also have the opportunity to serve in the café if they desire.
The Zoo. We went to the zoo, which was amazing. I'll post pictures eventually...
Blue Grass Eucharist. The interns and I attended a Blue Grass Eucharist at All Saints Episcopal Church. It was a lot of fun. There was a full blue grass band, and hymns included Will the Circle Be Unbroken, I'll Fly Away, and How Great Thou Art. After the service we were able to meet and chat with parishioners over a BBQ dinner.
Lauritzen Gardens Concert. Tonight we will attend a concert hosted by both St Andrews and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The performers are Billy McGuigan and Jimmy Weber, country artists from the area. Should be fun!




No comments:
Post a Comment