This marks the my second week at my parish placement. I have felt warmly welcomed by the people of St. Andrews, and I greatly appreciate their kind smiles, friendly hugs, and genuine conversations. Something beautiful happened for me this past week, and I want to share. During Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training on Saturday I heard the parable of the good Shepherd. A few lines include,“He knows each sheep by name” and “When he calls the sheep they follow him.” During the response time a few of the questions were, “What does it mean when someone knows your name?” “How does it feel when someone calls your name?” As a group we decided that when someone knows your name it means you are in relationship, and when someone calls your name it can be reassuring. I was reminded of a quote by Jess C. Scott when asked to define love, “When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth.”
Although I enjoyed our conversation it didn't hit home until Sunday morning. I had met some wonderful women at a Daughters of the King meeting this past Thursday evening. The meeting was inclusive, and full of love. One of the women from the meeting happened to be a chalice bearer on Sunday. As I drank from the cup I expected to hear the usual words coming from her mouth, but she surprised me with a new ending. She looked at me and said, “The blood of Christ, the cup of salvation, Reagan.” Everything was the same, but suddenly everything was different, all at the same time. Hearing her say my name validated our relationship, not only my relationship with her, but with God. I think we are called to be like the good shepherd to one another, and that we should remember that small acts, even something as small as saying someone's name, can mean being Christ to each other.
During middle school choir we used to sing a song about the Good Shepherd. I'm afraid I don't remember the exact title, writer, or composer. If you recognize it let me know. It goes something like this:
Do you hear your shepherd calling?
Are you listening with your heart?
Do you hear your shepherd's voice?
Feel the peace his words impart?
Are you listening?
And as the world barks its orders, that are easiest to hear,
Do you ever stop and listen to your shepherd standing near?
Are you listening?
No comments:
Post a Comment