For as long as I can remember Lent
has been my favorite liturgical season. There is just something about spending
forty days intentionally preparing, and being presently aware of the paschal
mystery that takes place between Palm Sunday and the Easter resurrection that I
can’t ever quite get over. I recall my childhood Holy Weeks of hearing the book
slam in the darkness of a Tenebrae service. Watching adults sheepishly taking
their socks and shoes off in public, an action that as a child felt natural and
liberating, not vulnerable and embarrassing. The heavy wooden cross that
appeared on Good Friday where I normally knelt to get communion. Memorizing
my Easter Godly Play stories in high school on the quietness of Holy Saturday.
Reading over the words, “And on Saturday it was so quiet you could almost hear
the earth breathing,” I hoped that all my Saturdays might contain a little bit
of such quietness. To be able to hear the earth inhale, and to have the time to listen at least once a week would be a gift. A candle light vigil, and the
great noise of Easter morning ring in the joy of resurrection that round out
the week that I simultaneously want to live in all the time, and know that I
can’t emotionally or spiritually bear more than once a year.
This liturgical roller coaster of a
faith walk begins where it does every year, with Ash Wednesday. A service set
apart, in both feeling and actual liturgical action. Even veteran clergy review
the service in their offices in the preceding weeks, making sure their ministerial muscle memory can recall the order of all the moving parts of the
service. Altar Guilds search high and low for the ashes saved from last year,
perhaps to be mixed with freshly scorched palm branches from last year’s
triumphant procession. Christians around the world prepare for the day, and
those in the American context who plan to participate pay particular attention
to how they will squeeze a service into their busy schedules. Then there is the
pondering one must do regarding how long to keep the ashen mark on our
foreheads. There is no set rule for this, and sometimes I think people are
disappointed to hear they have to discern for themselves how long they desire
to walk around marked in such a way. Some will, if not fully understand, at
least connect the dots to the religious day and won’t ask questions. Some will
helpfully let you know that you’ve got something on your forehead. Most
however, will simply stare. While there are plenty of joys and obstacles to
being a clergy person I consider this day to come with a certain amount of ease.
We walk around in collars, officiate services while wearing unusual garb, and
frequently perform acts that modern day society has deemed if not unnecessary,
then at least odd. I haven’t noticed much of an increase in attention when
walking around with the added mark on Ash Wednesday. It isn’t as notable for me
to do weird or strange things, it’s just par for the course. In this sense it
is, or should be, a humbling day for those of us who are ordained. It reminds
us of what we’re really asking our congregations to do in the public square,
not just this day, but every day as Christians. We’re so used to standing out
it is good to remember what it’s like to be that vulnerable with our faith out
in the world. It is of course not us, but God who is really asking them to do it, but
it’s important we acknowledge their efforts and walk with them with more
patience than we’re always inclined to do.
Ash Wednesday itself is of course
not only meant to plunge us into Lent, but to remind us of our mortality.
"Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,” we hear as the
smudges of black are placed on our foreheads. It is not new information, and probably
not a shock to hearers, but it is one of the few times we acknowledge or openly
talk about our eventual death. While our bodies are made up of complicated
biochemical systems, they are still fragile, still susceptible to all sorts and
conditions of danger and peril. Medical advances can prolong life for almost a
limitless amount of time, but no one yet to date has completely avoided
humanity’s universal end. Everything that has life, will eventually die. That
is simply the nature of our world as it is. Dust to dust.
Ash
Wednesday this year was a little different for me. It was my first as a priest,
and it was my first service in a new congregation. Those two factors alone should
have made the day unforgettable, but it was something else entirely that made
the day significant. I was sitting at my desk reading over my sermon before the
service. I was tired, and feeling anxious about the evening at hand. Then, deep
in my belly I felt my baby move for the first time. It was light and fluttery,
undeniable, and yet I probably would have missed it if I hadn’t been sitting in
the still and quiet of my office. Tears of joy followed, as well as the reality
of the life inside me, which could no longer hide as an abstract idea. I won’t
forget that moment. It’s already etched into memory, along with all the other
moments that define who and what I am. “Today of all days though?” I thought to
myself. This day, meant to evoke a recognition of mortality and death, had suddenly
been bombarded with life, even if only in secret.
And this was a welcomed gift. Death
and emptiness had filled my womb before. Out of all the feast and fast days,
Ash Wednesday wasn’t one I needed a reminder of. For a time Ash Wednesday had
encompassed me for a whole season. “Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble,
for the day of the Lord is coming, it is near-- a day of darkness and gloom, a
day of clouds and thick darkness! Like blackness spread upon the mountains,”
one reading for the day goes. It’s one thing to be aware of our own final rest,
but something else entirely to carry someone else’s. To be a creature’s Garden
of Eden beginning and final resting place is devastating at worst and humbling
at best. Perpetually a fragrant, sweet refuge and a hewed stony memorial
simultaneously. The new life I felt move
inside certainly brought joy beyond measure, and wonder and awe. But it also
reminded of the fragility of life, of how precious and small time on this earth
can be. Even as the flutters diminished back into a quiet afternoon, I was well
aware of how much more nurturing this baby needs before birth, let alone the
unpredictable journey they will face once born. This is to say nothing of the
craving to feel the movements again, and again and again, as soon and as often
as possible. It might be the only clear and true sign of resurrection I’ve ever
needed. I know Easter is real because I’ve seen it, felt it in my own body, and
have heard the whisper escape my own lips, “Alleluia.”
Hymns and other words of my
tradition have taken on new meaning in this pregnancy. Every song is judged by
how well I can sing it on my own without accompaniment, and if its low hum will
resonate lovingly as a late night lullaby when the time comes. Hymns about the
hidden characteristic of God transpose into the mystery of the relationship of
mother and unborn child. Thomas Aquinas’ 14th century hymn is one
such treasure,
Humbly I adore thee, Verity unseen,
who thy glory hidest, ‘neath these shadows mean,
lo, to thee surrendered, my whole heart is bowed,
tranced as it beholds thee, shrined within the cloud.
who thy glory hidest, ‘neath these shadows mean,
lo, to thee surrendered, my whole heart is bowed,
tranced as it beholds thee, shrined within the cloud.
Even as continued doctor appointments provide images and
heartbeat sounds, even as the flutters become stronger in the weeks to come,
there is considerable time in-between that is still so full of mystery
concerning this new and longed for relationship. This mystery will only continue. From pregnancy to the raising of an infant, then toddler, child, teenager, and adult, the
mystery will only grow deeper. It’s an unpredictable work, sometimes with
confusion and frustration, even heartache, but never with regret.
I try to only hold onto hope, and
not the fear of how long this baby still has to go before they can safely live
in our world outside of me. Yet, I cannot escape the death that eventually faces
us all. All the love that I can hold isn’t enough to keep even this Love from
being mortal, at least not in bodily form. I pray this Love stays strong and
true, until long after I’ve already met my own end. But even so, I’ve been
changed, marked, not with ashes that wash off with warm water, but with the
mark of one who has held life and death and life again. On Ash Wednesday we
hear, “You are but dust, and to dust you shall return.” But it is in our burial
rite that we finally hear the whole story,
"For so did you ordain when you created me, saying,
'You are dust, and to dust you shall return.' All of us go down
to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia,
alleluia, alleluia."
'You are dust, and to dust you shall return.' All of us go down
to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia,
alleluia, alleluia."

Those words from the commendation get me every single time. Somehow it is the moment when I feel most vulnerable as a priest and also most at home with the congregation and with God. Thank you for these reflections!
ReplyDelete